Once the mediport is no longer needed it can be surgically removed.
What to expect during the procedure:
- The procedure is performed at a surgical center.
- The procedure takes about 15 minutes to perform.
- A board certified anesthesiologist will administer conscious sedation – medication that will put you to sleep but which will allow you to breath on your own.
What to expect after the procedure:
- Detailed post procedure care instructions will be provided after the surgery.
- You may have mild muscle soreness for 1-2 days for which you can use Tylenol or ibuprofen (unless otherwise contraindicated).
- You will be contacted by the surgical center prior to the procedure to discuss pre-operative instructions.
- Anti-coagulation (blood thinners) must be stopped. Please contact your doctor to discuss the details of discontinuing blood thinners.